Top industries and services news from Ireland
Provided by AGPEuropean Parliament Left Group co-chair Manon Aubry was among the first to respond, labeling the interception "a new act of piracy" and "a blatant disregard for international law." Writing on US social media platform X, Aubry declared: "Full support for those who refuse to look the other way in the face of the genocide in Palestine and war crimes."
Jean-Luc Melenchon, leader of the French left-wing movement La France Insoumise (LFI), also rallied behind those aboard the flotilla, who he said "defy the world's most immoral army to oppose a sadistic genocide."
LFI MEP Emma Fourreau echoed those sentiments with sharp condemnation of Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu: "Once again with complete impunity, war criminal Netanyahu tramples international law. Support for the comrades standing in solidarity with the Palestinian people," she said.
LFI parliamentary leader Mathilde Panot characterized the assault as a "new intolerable act of piracy by Netanyahu's army," vowing that her bloc would not remain silent. "We will never avert our gaze from the genocide still underway in Gaza. Affection to all those who resist and are the honor of our shared humanity!" Panot said.
The outcry extended beyond French legislators. Italian MEP Danilo Della Valle declared "all of this is intolerable," while revealing that fellow Italian lawmaker Dario Carotenuto was among the approximately 100 activists detained. Della Valle said a letter had been formally submitted demanding "immediate guarantees for the safety of the activists" and called on Rome to act swiftly to secure the release of detained Italian nationals. "Those who bring humanitarian aid cannot be treated like criminals," he added.
Portuguese MEP Catarina Martins also condemned the incident, accusing Israel of having "once again kidnapped people in international waters, in flagrant violation of international and humanitarian law." Martins disclosed that two Portuguese doctors were among the detained and publicly challenged the Portuguese government's silence, questioning what Israel "needs to do" before authorities intervene.
The Israeli military struck and seized the Global Sumud flotilla in international waters Monday, detaining 100 activists as the mission attempted to pierce Israel's longstanding blockade on the besieged Palestinian enclave. The flotilla — comprising more than 50 vessels — departed Thursday from the Turkish Mediterranean district of Marmaris, carrying 426 participants, including 96 Turkish activists and nationals from 39 countries spanning Germany, the US, Argentina, Australia, Bahrain, Brazil, Algeria, Indonesia, Morocco, France, South Africa, the UK, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Canada, Egypt, Pakistan, Tunisia, Oman, and New Zealand.
It was not the first such confrontation. Israeli forces had previously attacked the Global Sumud flotilla off the coast of the Greek island of Crete on April 29. The Gaza blockade itself has been in place since the summer of 2007.
Legal Disclaimer:
EIN Presswire provides this news content "as is" without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the author above.